When to Consider Revision Bariatric Surgery
This might be an option if any of the following apply to you:
- Your previous bariatric surgery was not done correctly, which prevented you from getting the weight loss results you expected
- You have gained weight since the last time you had bariatric surgery done and need to lose this excess weight again
Who is a Good Candidate for Revision Bariatric Surgery?
There are a number of factors that surgeons take into consideration when deciding whether or not this procedure is suitable for those who have had bariatric surgery before. Some of these factors include:
- When your previous bariatric surgery took place
- The amount of weight you lost after your previous procedure
- Any side effects or complications that you encountered after your first bariatric surgical procedure
- Whether you have developed any medical conditions since the last time you had surgery, which could affect the healing process or raise your risk of complications with revision bariatric surgery
- The amount of experience your previous surgeon had, which can indicate how effective that procedure was
- The type of procedure that was done initially
Options for Revision Bariatric Surgery
There are different options available for this type of procedure. The option that will work best for your situation depends on certain factors, including the kind of procedure you had before. Some of the options that are available include revisions for Lap-Band procedures, gastric bypasses and sleeve gastrectomies. For example, revision surgery might involve removing a Lap Band and using a bypass or sleeve instead.
What Are the Advantages of Revision Bariatric Surgery?
Revision bariatric surgery gives patients a chance to get rid of the weight they expected to lose if their previous procedure was done incorrectly. This type of procedure also provides an option for some patients who had bariatric surgery done before and have put weight back on due to their lifestyle or other reasons. If revision bariatric surgery is an option for you, your surgeon will weigh the potential risks with the benefits before recommending it.
If you would like to find out more about revision bariatric surgery, schedule a consultation with the experts at Weight Loss and Wellness Center. Our center is dedicated to helping our clients achieve their weight loss goals.